Bulletin [11.5.18]

Morning coffee and news go together like alcohol and regret, right? Nah? Ahem.
Recorded another 🗣bulletin yesterday evening and it was vintage rols premium delirium golden hour - come for the news, stay for the crazy.

Stories I covered:

  1. Recycling sitch is becoming especially scary with some quantifiable figures emerging: ie our recyclable waste contamination rate averages out around 20% (does that mean 1 in 5 of us is just that lazy?) and for China to start accepting it again it’s gotta be at 0.5%. WHAT YOU PUT IT IN THE BIN MATTERS!

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-08/cleanaway-councils-locked-in-perth-recycling-standoff/9735822
     
  2. Canberrans are currently winning this very game with food waste bins proposed to offset both landfill volumes and fuel emissions. Yes we CAN,BRA.

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-08/food-waste-bins-waste-to-fuel-policy-on-the-cards-for-canberra/9738788
     
  3. Researchers are asking nerdy citizens in WA to record frog sounds to an app called FrogID to help flesh out data on these slippery and elusive beings - and guess what, it’s working. How cool are nerds!

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-08/researchers-museum-frogid-app-hunts-for-frog-calls-rain/9734902
     
  4. If you don’t know who Boyan Slat is, you should, as he is about to launch a genuine attempt to launder the worlds messiest diaper aka the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Critics abound, but f them! We - or rather, he - gotta start somewhere.

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-05-08/great-pacific-garbage-patch-plastic-ocean-cleanup-boyan-slat/9714246
     
  5. If acceptable edible yield of a fish is around 40%, what happens to the other 60% of its biomass? Well, now you can buy it in Paddington, and it’s proper delicious and proper good for you.

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-07/fish-butchery-restaurant-seafood-sustainability-joshua-niland/9727292

Plus 2 bonus stories if you make it that far down the road with me!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-05/diving-with-sharks-at-centre-of-battle-for-bight/9726270

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-10/tasman-peninsula-residents-opposing-tassal-salmon-expansion/9744258

Climatechange news: worth my sanity, worth your hungover attention 👍🏼♻️👍🏼♻️👍🏼
Thanks again ABC!

[iTunes ~ ‘Lucky Roland’]